If you do not take health supplements, you should definitely consider doing so. A lot of people consider supplements as unnecessary, or that they are only designed for people with health problems or significant deficiencies. This could not be further from the truth. Below, we reveal numerous reasons why you should take them.
- Counteract unhealthy lifestyle habits – Unhealthy lifestyle habits can greatly increase your nutritional needs, which is why you need to take supplements if you do any of the following: drink coffee, drink alcohol, smoke, or take pharmaceutical drugs. Did you know that Paracetamol increases the need for selenium, and vitamins E and C while Aspirin increases the need for vitamin C?
- Stress – Stress can deplete a lot of nutrients, including zinc, magnesium, and calcium.
- Poor eating habits and digestion issues – If your digestion is impaired, you will have further nutritional needs, as you won’t be able to absorb nutrients sufficiently. You should consider vitamin supplements to balance nutritional deficiencies.
- Food additives – There are lots of additives found in all types of food nowadays, which further deplete nutrients.
- Food processing – This is another process that reduces nutrient content by drastic amounts. For example, making white flour by refining white is a process that removes 88 per cent of its manganese, 87 per cent of its chromium, and 80 per cent of its magnesium, plus much more.
- Herbicides and pesticides – The nutrition of crops is reduced and soil microorganisms are damaged due to herbicides and pesticides.
- Hybrid crops – Nowadays, hybrid crops are very popular, even on organic farms, as they yield more food per acre. As a consequence, these crops have a much lower nutrient content.
- Soil depletion – Last but not least, health supplements are required because land is intensively farm, which means that nutrients are not able to naturally replenish in the soil.